Just bought the parts for my locally-hosted auction database server. Web and email will remain at linode.
For the curious:
Gigabyte AMD motherboard
AMD Phenom II X4 945 Deneb 3.0GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Quad Core CPU
Western Digital VelociRaptor 150GB 10000 RPM 16MB Cache HD
Two Corsair 4GB DDR3 sticks (8GB total)
Corsair 650W PSU
Parts will probably get to me on Monday, and I'll stick it in an old case I have. I really wanted to get a new Lian Li case to match my dev server, but that'd be $90 spent for no good reason. Hope to have it running by the end of next week, with it holding all current realms and getting new realm data alongside the current DB slaves as I test it.
Bandwidth requirements are pretty low, coming from measurements I've made on the slave DB nodes I have running now. I'm gonna cheat for a bit and just run the DB server off my home DSL with 200-250 realms for a while, and judge whether to bite the bullet on a dedicated Comcast line after that.
October 01, 2010: New DB server on the way!
No comments yet